Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week 4 - Further Along the Journey

Catching Up With Your Soul By Kurt Olson

My wife and I were on vacation in Italy with our German friends. On Sunday it was Katja's birthday and after three days of being on the go, she chose to celebrate her day by staying at the villa and just resting. She made an interesting statement; she said, “I need a day so my soul can catch up with me”. 

She then told an interesting story that was set in the early history of America. (Yes, there is a little irony in a German telling an American, an American folklore tale.)  It was about a Native American Indian man who was on one of the first train rides. When he got off the train, he laid down on the ground. Some people were curious about why he did that, and asked him what he was doing. The man told them he was waiting for his soul to catch up.

It occurred to me that this is wonderful description of the early days of my grief journey. I was so busy with all the demands and details of my life that I didn't rest for a very long time. When I finally rested, it was out of exhaustion, not by choice. I collapsed in weariness, but still my soul didn't catch up.

A little further down the road on my journey, I started to choose the days when I rested, and it was on those days that I seemed to become aware of God’s presence in a big way.  Slowly, I started my day by reading God’s Word and ended in reflection on the goodness of God and what He brought my way. In the beginning of each reflection, it seemed to be all about me with my mixed bag of feelings. I was feeling everything; from sad to angry, and occasionally, even happy. But when I stood still to reflect on where I saw God's goodness, my soul started to catch up. I finally found some peace that I desperately needed!

So on this day, I am praying for your soul to catch up with your body and heart so that you may experience rest and God's goodness. My hope is that you find a little peace today, while seeing the goodness of God in your life, and have a bit of feeling that you are “all together.”

A Psalm of David - The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.  Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  Psalm 23:1-4 (NIV)

If you are viewing this through the RSS email feed, please know you can find additional support and encouragement at our home site of www.griefslinky.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment